Who says major cleaning of your house just has to be in the spring? But instead of deep cleaning the inside of your house, focus on the outside preparations! Get ready for the rest of fall and the chills of winter using this helpful guide:
- Clean and store patio furniture, umbrellas, children’s summer toys.
- Touch up paint on trim, railings and decks. Use a wire brush to remove flaking paint; prime bare wood first.
- Check caulk around windows and doors. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations to re-caulk if needed.
- Inspect external doors and garage doors. Do they close tightly? Install weather-stripping, door thresholds if needed.
- Wash exterior windows.
- Drain and store garden hoses. Install insulating covers on exterior spigots. In hard-freeze areas, have sprinkler systems blown free of water.
- Check gutters and downspouts. Clear of debris if necessary. In cold-weather areas, consider installing heating cable to prevent ice dams.
- Have chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned if necessary.
For more cleaning tips for the colder weather, check out: http://organizedhome.com/seasonal-spin/fall-cleaning-chore-checklist