Looking forward to something, an activity, a potential job or opportunity and were denied, you’re not alone. Everyday tons of people are being denied, wait listed or told no, through all this negativity there are some positives. I have found these five positives to be the best way to get me through the slump of being denied.
1) First off the opportunity, that you were looking forward to, is not the only opportunity out there. There are thousands of opportunities opening up every day, and if you can’t find one you like or think will be well suited for you, it might be time to make your own. Looking for other opportunities allows you to be more knowledgeable about your field, not to mention it may get you out of your comfort zone. Being denied just allows you to be aware of more opportunities.
2) Being denied is a great time for some self-reflection. This self-reflection could be you thinking about why you wanted this opportunity and why you weren’t picked for it. This could lead to some self-doubt, but it allows you to be honest with yourself on skills you may need to brush up on. Self-reflection also serves as a great way of reminding yourself why you love that industry, and bringing you back to the original exuberant passion you once had.
3) The hustle and bustle of the big world can get us too caught up in being perfect, and can allow us to dwell on the negative. Being denied you may start to feel the poor me emotions, but if you step back and look at all the positives in your life I am sure there is something to be happy about. Finding the positives in your world can bring you back to a humble and more appreciative state.
4) You will eventually be able to explore those different opportunities mentioned in reason #1. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) you will receive the acceptance you want and deserve. The feeling of being denied can be bitter, but how you feel when receiving your acceptance for the next greatest opportunity will feel oh so sweet.
5) Being denied may make you feel like you need to change and conform to what society wants, but keep being you. You’re awesome and a simple pep talk with yourself, over your favorite coffee can make you remember why you are so great. So keep being unapologetically you and you will do great things, even if you do get denied once or twice along the way.